Marine Technical Services
- Flag State Surveys – IMS represents a number of Flag States as
inspectors of their ships, including those of The Bahamas, Barbados,
Cyprus and Panama. We regularly conduct safety inspections, condition
survey and marine accident investigations on their behalf on bulk
carriers, tankers and a number of cruise ships that visit BC each
- Condition Surveys – to determine a vessel’s general or specific
condition (including a number of ballast tanks), and its fitness to
trade. This survey is usually on behalf of P & I Clubs and Flag
States (All Vessels over 12 years old require a condition survey prior
to being permitted entrance to the Flag).
- Hull and Machinery – IMS acts as non-exclusive surveyor for a number
of Classification Societies. We have access to highly-qualified marine
engineers as well as consulting arrangements with reputable marine
- Pre-purchase Surveys – on behalf of prospective buyers, to determine
the actual condition of a vessel and its machinery and equipment,
including (if required and permitted) non-destructive ultrasonic
- Non-Destructive Testing – ultrasonic thickness gauging of steel
plates and pipes using Panametric’s 36DL Plus and Flir 400 Infrared
camera and moisture meters.
- Hatch Tightness Testing – We can provide tightness testing by ultra
sound or by way of hose testing for water ingress. Our ultrasonic
equipment is the class-approved Sharelog Equipment with data logger.
- Railroad Freight Claims – we provide cargo loss services for a number of railroads that operate within Canada.
- General Average (GA) Consulting – IMS provides consultation by
reviewing GA adjustments and surveys to assist in claims recovery on
behalf of cargo interests.
- Foreign Trade Supervision (FTS) – IMS has considerable experience in
the field of Foreign Trade Supervision (FTS) and is familiar with all
required documentation and inspections.
- Fish Farms – IMS can provide investigations into fish farm location, mooring, equipment, operation, losses and damage.
Superintendencey and Consultancy
- Supervision of the entire cargo operation or some of its various
stages, with a view to ensure a smooth and expeditious turn-around.
- Safety Audits and ISM Consultancy
- Expert Witnesses – assisting law firms, P&I Clubs, Owners, or
other involved parties with investigation, preparation and
substantiating their case.